Not sure if others have had this problem, but I had to try four different locations in my garage before I found a place to mount the Tailwind box that did not interfere with any of my garage door openers. Tailwind connected to Wifi everywhere (one of my APs is in the laundry room next to the garage) but the first three locations caused issues with the door opener controls, and we weren't able to open one or more doors using the regular garage door opener.
If this is not uncommon, it might be worthwhile to call it out as a risk in the installation instructions. I think the best practice would be to test mount Tailwind, power it up and get it linked to Wifi, then test door openers using remotes. If all OK then run the sensor/control wires; if not, keep testing locations. I got everything mounted and wires nailed up, then had to pull it all down once I discovered the interference....
Thanks for posting this. We haven't heard of this issue before but like with all things wireless - it is possible. If we hear about this happening to more customers we will certainly update our communications. We had one other reported similar case, but that turned out to simply be that the garage door remote control battery was on its last legs. That customer replaced their remote battery and all was well after that.
Had a similar experience but it turned out that wires weren't making good contact after trying to connect both wires to the garage motor. I recommend using a short piece of wire to join together each set of wires (looks like a Y) instead which makes for a better connection. That way you are only inserting only the short piece of wire in the garage motor.
My problem wasn't Tailwind not opening the garage door, it was the usual garage door opener stopped working when Tailwind was just plugged in and connected to wifi (even after I removed all of the Tailwind control wires). That said, when I did connect them, I did it as you described with pigtails into the opener and wirenuts to join it with the wall button and Tailwind.
I finally just plugged Tailwind into an extension cord and tried a few locations around the garage until I could still operate the doors using the buttons in the car and the remote on the wall outside. I then permanently mounted it there and wired it up, and it's been working great since.
I had a homebuilt version of Tailwind and it had the same problem. I guess my Chamberlain doors are easily interfered with by the wifi radio.
Please sign in to leave a comment.