Sorry to hear things aren’t working quite right. We can help you with that for sure.
Generally when the auto-open / auto-close is not working at all it can be resolved by one of the following steps. Please note that you cannot "kill" or "stop" the Tailwind app and then restart it while the vehicle sensor / vehicle Bluetooth is connected. If you do this, it will cause the location tracking feature to stop until the phone has been moved at least 20 feet away from the vehicle sensor for at least 2 minutes, or has been disconnected from the vehicle Bluetooth. In short, if you're close to the sensor or connected to vehicle Bluetooth, don't "kill" or "stop" the Tailwind app.
It is possible that everything is working as designed but you may not be going far enough away from your garage. Here is an article regarding the auto-close distance, and why it can take longer to close your garage door than you may expect https://gotailwind.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020648492-Why-doesn-t-the-auto-close-work-sooner-as-I-leave-home-I-have-it-set-for-150-feet-but-sometimes-it-doesn-t-close-the-door-until-I-m-much-further-away-
Furthermore, the auto-open feature is designed to detect you arriving home. By definition this means you must travel a certain distance AWAY from home before turning around and driving home to test it. Generally we advise that users drive at least 1,000 feet away from home before turning around and driving back to test the auto-open.
Currently Tailwind may not auto-open / close if you are walking slowly instead of driving. The algorithms are tuned for speeds above a slow walk.
1) Be sure you've watched, and carefully followed the steps in our "Vehicle Sensor Setup" video https://youtu.be/SDzjNMr8Si4
2) Make sure Bluetooth is turned on in your phone settings. If you are using a Tailwind vehicle sensor, DO NOT pair it in your Bluetooth settings. This will cause problems. If you paired with the Tailwind vehicle sensor in your Bluetooth settings, please "unpair" it.
3) Make sure you've given the Tailwind app permission to ALWAYS track your location. Often we find users have selected the "While in use" option, which will not allow this feature to work properly.
4) Make sure your sensor is turned on (press and hold power button for 2 seconds - if LED flickers, the sensor just turned on. If LED gives one solid flash, it just turned off).
5) Make sure your sensor is within range (less than 10 feet), and there is no metal between the sensor and your phone.
6) Location tracking is not accurate if your phone cannot receive GPS signals. With modern phones this is generally not an issue unless your phone is placed in a location such as inside a storage compartment in your vehicle. Try putting your phone in a location that has less obstructions, such as on the console or in a dash mount. The sensor signal does not pass through the human body very well, so please make sure your body is not between the sensor and your phone.
7) Make sure you have actually turned on the auto-open / close features in the "Vehicles" screen, and set an appropriate distance.
8) CRITICAL!!!! If you are using an Android phone, make sure you have battery optimization turned off for Tailwind and that your "Allow background data" and "Allow app while Data saver on" settings are turned on for Tailwind. Please go to the "HELP" screen in the Android app to see how to make these setting changes. If your phone isn't listed, please review other phone screens for ideas. Auto-open / close absolutely WILL NOT WORK unless you change these settings in your Android phone, and unfortunately we cannot force these setting changes through our app. You need to make them yourself.
9) The sensor or vehicle bluetooth might not be detected by your phone immediately after setting it up in the Tailwind app. You may need to move away from the Tailwind vehicle sensor or your vehicle bluetooth (Android only) at least 20 feet for 2 minutes before trying to use auto-open.
10) If you set your auto-open distance to a small number such as 70 feet, sometimes the auto-open may not function. Sometimes the GPS position error of the phone can be larger, or the actual garage location learned during setup could be slightly inaccurate. If your auto-open is inconsistent and you have a small distance set, please try increasing the auto-open distance and / or re-learning your garage location under the “edit device” option in “My Devices” screen.
11) If none of the above steps have worked, and you have an iPhone, please delete the Tailwind app from your phone. Then restart your phone, download the Tailwind app, log in, and auto-open / close should start working.